On April 13, 2023, PIR Center, Public Initiative “Creative Diplomacy” (PICREADI) and Russian International Affairs Council (RIAC) will hold a joint expert seminar on the topic “Gender in Nonproliferation&Disarmament: Why Should We be More Careful?”.
The seminar participants will try to find answers to the following questions:
- why are there still not so many women involved in the field of nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament;
- are there any speculations, ambiguity and stereotypes within gender studies and gender attitude to nuclear nonproliferation, arms control and disarmament;
- what are the prospects for gender studies in the field of nuclear nonproliferation, arms control and disarmament;
- is it really so important to strive for gender balance in the field of nuclear nonproliferation, arms control and disarmament and, if so, why?
Expert comments will be delivered by the Russian specialists in international relations and global security: Dr. Natalia Burlinova,Founding President of the President of PICREADI; Dr. Larisa Deriglazova, is a professor at Department of World Politics, Tomsk State University; Dr. Anastasia Malygina, Associate Professor at the School of International Relations, St. Petersburg State University; Dr. Anastasia Ponamareva, Deputy Dean on Research at the School of World Politics, Lomonosov Moscow State University; Dr. Elena Chernenko, Special Correspondent, Kommersant Daily. Many other researchers and practitioners in the field of international relations and international security will also take part in the discussion.
The seminar will also include the launch of the PIR Center Security Index Occasional Paper Series on the role of the Russian women in the field of nuclear nonproliferation, disarmament and global security. The author, Ms. Elena Karnaukhova, PIR Center Deputy Director- Director of Education & Training Program, examines the career path of Russian women in these areas, using the results of exclusive interviews and confidential surveys (the text of the scientific note in Russian, in English in an updated version). The study was prepared in the context of the 20th Anniversary of the United Nations Study on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Education (A/57/124) and the Tenth NPT Review Conference (August 1-26, 2022).
Event will be held from 12:00 to 14:00 (GMT+3, Moscow time zone) in the hybrid format.
- To take online participation in the seminar, please register via the link (http://pir-press.timepad.ru/event/2379535/) no later than 10:00 April 12, 2023.
- To take in-person participation, please address to Ms. Elena Karnaukhova via e-mail email@example.com. Number of in-person participants is restricted (by invitation and(or) by list of confirmed participants).
Offline part of the event will be held in the office of RIAC (4th Dobryninsky Lane, 8, Moscow, 119049).