MOSCOW, MARCH 24, 2021. PIR PRESS. The Security Index Occasional Paper Series came out with the report «CSTO allies of Russia: an assessment of the quality of dialogue and the possibility of formulating joint positions on key issues of nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament» by Nadezhda Kulibaba.
This report assesses the readiness of Russia’s CSTO partners to support the initiatives of the Russian Federation in the international arena. Based on the analysis of the positions of the CSTO members, the author makes a conclusion that despite the presence of some solidarity among them, the CSTO lacks closer cooperation to make common compromise decisions. The lack of a common policy reduces the level of the organization’s influence. It is necessary to develop active interaction among the participating countries in order to overcome this problem. The organization can take NATO as an example of intensive dialogue and its institutionalization within the bloc.
- The members of CSTO led by Russia unanimously support the ban on the deployment of weapons in outer space in the international arena, since the prevention of the arms race in outer space is an important factor in strategic stability and international security.
- The key controversial issue in the foreign policy of the CSTO states is the TPNW, namely the divergence of the positions of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan with the policies of the Organization’s other members.
- Analysis of the positions of the CSTO members on nonproliferation and disarmament issues revealed that despite the formal agreement of the positions on some issues (for example, the CTBT or Treaty on the Prevention of the Placement of Weapons in Outer Space) it is hardly possible to determine at least one country that would be completely loyal to the respective positions of the Russian Federation.
- In the context of the escalating confrontation between Russia and the countries of the “collective West”, Russia needs the support of as many countries as possible, including the CSTO members.
- The main problem of the dialogue within the framework of the CSTO is not the difference in positions, but rather a certain passivity of the allies. In case of leveling this passivity, the CSTO members could take part in the development of compromise proposals.
Read (in Russian)